Only individuals that meet requirements under the Ambulance Act Reg. 257/00, Part III, sub section 5 through 8 will be considered for employment. If a candidate meets these requirements or the requirements outlined below, they must be successful in passing the Nipissing Paramedic Services Recruitment Process.
Graduates of a recognized paramedic program could be considered for employment. The following conditions apply when employed as an EMCA Graduate.
- He/she is eligible to write the Ontario Ministry of Health provincial EMCA exam.
- They must pass the provincial exam on the first attempt. If they fail to succeed on the first attempt the manager of the service will assess the individual through the means of a performance appraisal. With a positive appraisal the individual will be allowed one more attempt to pass the provincial exam. (Must register for next available exam).
- If an individual is unsuccessful on the second attempt at the EMCA provincial exam, their employment will be immediately terminated.
Nipissing Paramedic Services – Paramedic Recruitment Process
- Written Exam 75 Questions (includes a variety of B.L.S. / Symptom Relief / Defibrillation questions)
One (1) opportunity for an open write, written PRIOR to advancing to Practical Testing and Oral Interview.
Written component worth 50% of Final Mark.
NOTE: ONLY those successful in attaining >75% in this component will be invited to return to an upcoming scheduled date for the Practical Testing and Oral Interview.
- Practical Scenario (includes, equipment testing with K.E.D. / Sager / Immobilization, Oxygen / B.V.M.)
Practical Component worth 25% of Final Mark.
Using B.L.S.- P.C.S. Trauma Template.
Ambulance Call Report documentation
- Lifting/Stair Chair (2 flights of stairs with approximately 200 lb. Patient, alternating positions)
# 35-A Stretcher (Demonstrates appropriate lift into vehicle.)
Strength Testing worth 25% of Final Mark.
- Oral Interview (10 questions, 5 of which are General HR and 5 Paramedic / Service related)