NORTH BAY & DISTRICT AMBULANCE SERVICE
The North Bay & District Ambulance Service inception was in October 1969. At this time the Government of Ontario accepted the responsibility of Ambulance Services for the Province of Ontario. Inclusions were Ministry Ambulance Services, Private Operators, Volunteer Services and Hospital based Ambulance Services. Vehicles ranged from Cadillacs to Ford Vans with standards established by the Ministry. Ambulance personnel qualifications and standards were also regulated at this time as set out in the Ambulance Act of Ontario. The service operated out of the emergency entrance of the garage of the North Bay Civic Hospital with the small room beside the garage housing a crew, supply room and a dispatch radio.
The Ambulance Act of Ontario encompasses licensing, qualifications, vehicle standards and markings to the individual operators of the Ambulance Services throughout the province.
North Bay & District Ambulance Service performed approximately fifteen hundred (1500) calls annually in the early years of operation. Emergency calls and patient transfers were transported by ambulance. Many patient transfers were long distance transfers from hospital to Toronto and/or other areas in the province. As the Services evolved it was realized that patient relays with other Ambulance Services would utilize services more efficiently and relay points were initiated with Muskoka, Haileybury, Timmins, etc. The relay transfer system enabled ambulances to return to their own area in half the time and alleviated the needed balanced emergency coverage in all areas.
The first ambulance building, 00 Base, in North Bay was built on the hospital property behind the North Bay Civic Hospital in 1975. The building consists of the ambulance base on the ground floor and the CACC upstairs.
In 1975 the Emergency Care Attendants achieved ALS designation, one of the first services in the Province to achieve this status. ALS was under the direction of Dr. Keech, Chief of Staff. Heart monitors were donated by the Royal Canadian Legion. Intravenous training and monitoring was taught through the Operating Room and the Emergency Department at the North Bay Civic Hospital and the Intensive Care Unit at St. Joseph’s General Hospital.
In 1978 the Powassan Volunteer Ambulance Service was dissolved and North Bay was requested and does supply ambulance coverage for the Powassan area on a daily basis Monday to Sunday 1000 hours to 2200 hours. A second ambulance base was established in Powassan, 01 Base.
The coverage area for the North Bay Service was Rutherglen to the West, Highway 63 to Quebec, Trout Creek in the South, halfway to Sturgeon Falls, West and halfway to Temagami, North.
In 1995 a new ambulance base was established in the Ferris area, 03 Base. The 03 Base operates twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven days a week, with one (1) crew working from 0700 hours to 1900 hours and one (1) crew working 1900 hours to 0700 hours.
As of January 1, 2001 all ambulance services will be under the direction of Upper Tier Municipalities or Service Boards. The operator will submit budgets to the District Boards and either continue to be the operator or the Service Board may opt for tenders to operate an ambulance service. An operator must maintain the operating license to continue the operation of an ambulance service.